Friday, May 6, 2016

Ignea - Alga (2016)

Clocking in at just under seven minutes, this single track from Ukrainian symphonic metal act Ignea on a very strong note with powerful orchestrations, hard-driving riffs and one hell of a frontwoman. She's quite comparable to Lacuna Coil's Christina Scabbia and doesn't go heavy with the vocal operatics, instead preferring a straight-forward approach, which adds some hefty growls in the background. Lyrically, this seems like a read between the lines of Russia's involvement in the Ukraine, which the Ukrainian people are not all too happy about. This is also why I was getting the business when I accidentally referred to some Ukrainian acts as Russian. I make sure these days to get that right, as I don't think I ever want to get an email like that again. Especially when I actually enjoyed the album. As for the piece, it contains a potent chorus, catchy grooves and even a little bit of a guitar solo so they're obviously going for a harder approach than similar acts out there. I was actually very impressed by this piece and would certainly love to hear more. As an old fan of Lacuna Coil, “Alga” really hit the nail on the head for me. Definitely give it a listen if you're into that kind of music and I look forward to the new album.

(1 Track, 6:17)

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment