Friday, May 6, 2016

Nithing - Fetid Reek Of Interminable Existence (2015)

A solo project from California-based Iniquitous Deeds drummer Matt Kilner, this death and gore and grease and grime and grunt and groan and gurgle is definitely worth your attention, especially if you're a fan of proficient drumming in the vein of 7 H Target. The riffs I find are a bit tough to hear in the mix, especially over the drums, but I have absolutely no problem with great drum work and gurgly growls. From what I can ascertain, there's a slightly technical approach going on here with the riffs, but they still sound a bit distant. It's not a deterrent for me, but it does hamper the experience a bit. If the guitars were turned up just a little more in the mix, I think I'd be able to get more out of the listen. This is just a short sampling of what this guy can do however and perhaps this review will give him some constructive criticism in the mixing department. On the title track for instance, there's a solo that I can't barely make out over the amazingly potent drums and bass licks. I'm looking forward to where this goes, but he'll need to turn up the lead guitar a bit as I can't hear it and I'm blasting my volume right now. I love the drumming and some of the weirdness (that you can also barely hear at times) on display here, but the mixing makes it tough to completely recommend. Give the disc a listen on the band's page and see what you think and if you agree with me that the leads are just a bit too muffled in the back there. Once again, this is only his first outing, so I won't write the project off at such an early stage. He's obviously a talented musician and an absolute demon on the kit, but there's just some trouble in the mix and he'll need to address it a bit more on future outputs.

Note: I have tried listening to this one again in my headphones and have found the guitar sound a bit clearer, it seems to sound quite audible in my right ear. However, some of the leads still feel pushed slightly to the back a bit, and the mix is still rather thick. Nevertheless, the drumming and technical guitar approach is more than enough to sell the album on it's own. I'm upgrading my review by one point, having taken these ideas in consideration. 

(4 Tracks, 11:00)

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment